U3A Redcliffe Inc. was founded by Olive McKee in 1987 and incorporated in 1988.
This U3A now has members on the Redcliffe Peninsula and surrounding areas.
Members enrolled are living in some Northern Brisbane areas, e.g. Bracken Ridge, Sandgate, Deagon, Brighton, Lawnton, Albany Creek, Kurwongbah, Deception Bay, Caboolture & Burpengary.
- In December 1996, U3A Redcliffe purchased premises at Grace St Scarborough and had its first permanent home having obtained a long-term lease of the grounds from the City Council.
- Since then Council has made available the first floor of the Sutton Centre, situated in Redcliffe, giving us much needed space and modern surroundings.
- There are more than 80 different classes held at our campus at The Sutton Centre, Sutton Street Redcliffe. Some courses are held at outside venues.
- Since all our tutors are volunteers, costs of courses can be kept to an absolute minimum. Some courses may require the purchase of a book or photocopies.
- Social events, Bus trips, Morning Teas, Concerts etc. are also regular features.
What is the U3A?
U3A is short for University of the Third Age.
The title University has nothing to do with our present rather narrow concept of university and its connotations of qualifications and prior studies.
Rather, it conveys the classical idea of a group of scholars studying to satisfy an inner urge to learn.
A person is in the Third Age in retirement or on completion of the responsibilities of parenthood.
The Third Age is the part in one's adult life when one has the time to devote to interests other than earning a living and raising a family.